Friday, May 11, 2007

Tough Decision

I'm faced with a hard decision. I went to the doctor today for my 38th week checkup.
I was a little apprehensive to go because the last three times I have been "checked" the doctors weren't able to tell because my uterus is soooo posterior. Brian asked me if I was excited before I went. I guess I should have had him come in the past and he would have known the answer to that (: . I was really interested to see if I had progressed at all, but I don't think excited was the right word.

First the doctor did the exam, and gratefully she is a six foot tall doctor that has long fingers (: .She apologized, but was finally able to find out. I am dilated to a two and 70% effaced. I was a little surprised that I was only at a 2, but also grateful I hadn't had the baby before 38 weeks.

She then proceeded to tell me the "problem". She asked me if I knew the difficulties that comes along with a baby who has her shoulder stuck coming out of the birth canal (like Ashtyn had last time). She explained that there is a chance that if this baby is close to Ashtyn's size, she could have the same problem. Then if that does happen, she could have a broken bone, nerve damage for the rest of her life in her arm, or worst of all, brain damage. She then asked me if I would like to consider a c-section. She said the chance that some problem would happen is unlikely, but she had to tell me the possibilities.

My first instinct was "no", I decided to just get induced a week early and hopefully she won't be too big by then. She said, "alright, just think about it and go home and talk to your husband about it". I walked away thinking everything will be fine if I'm induced. As I was preparing to leave, the assistant who schedules inductions came up to me and said that I am scheduled for next Friday. However, this is the last day for at least a week that the hospital will schedule inductions because they are remodeling the next week. If there are any emergencies that come up on Thursday or Friday, then they will push me back and I won't be able to be induced until after my due date. There is also a high probability that I will be pushed back.

Well, that is my problem. How do I choose between a probably unnecessary c-section, but also a chance that my baby could have lifetime problems? If I don't go on my own this next week, or the induction doesn't happen on Friday, then I will have to wait too long to have her and she could have problems. Ahh! This is where you need Revelation right? Bri and I talked it over and I think I will wait until Friday to see if I go on my own or if I can be induced. If it doesn't happen, I will probably ask to have a c-section.

I just hope we are making the right decision. It's so hard to know what the future holds or if I'm choosing something that could harm my baby for all her life.
I guess this is where you rely on the Lord...

14 comments:

Cami said...

That's a tough one Brenda. But you have had a big baby before--I'm sure whatever you decide she will be just fine. Good luck!! We'll be praying for you.

Corinne said...

Yeah - that's just really hard. I guess it boils down to what you think will sit best with you emotionally after it's all over, right? I am anxious to hear what you decide :)

Jann said...

Such a worry. I will keep you in my prayers.

Joni said...

No matter what, you won't be choosing something that will harm your baby for life -- meaning that you will try to choose wisely but that you just don't KNOW. Personally the doctor seems a bit overly cautious to me. I think you're right that the chances are small that there would be problems, and a C-section is not something to do lightly. My prayers are with you that you can feel right about whatever decision you settle on.

Ashlee said...

Oh man. I wish the powers-that-be within the medical/OB community didn't have to overanaylze and overmedicalyze birthing a baby! But we/they do. Safety is their job and priority. I just think they jump to c-section as the "safest" solution when it isn't always so. A section certainly isn't the end of the world but it is major surgery (sometimes i think OB's gloss over that one). I've also witnessed shoulder dystocia in action and it is terrifying (NOT to say that it is a given for you this time around tho). This is such a tough situation. As if we don't have enough to worry about just being pregnant and doing the best we can to bring healthy children into the world! I wish i could look into my super-magic-labor-and-delivery crystal ball and tell you what to do. I think Corinne has it right on. What will sit best with you? What will give you the most peace-of-mind? Any reason they won't induce you now--at 38 instead of 39?? Hmmmm. I've probably rambled on too much. I'll be thinking about/praying for you!

Jenni said...

This might seem crazy, but have you thought of taking that tea that Corinne, Mendy, Amy and Christie took to try to induce yourself?? I've never taken it, but it totally seemed to work for them.

It is such a hard thing when doctors put the pressure on. It seemed like my OBs thought I could stop my early labor contractions by mind power. They kept saying they really didn't want me to go early while I was on blood thinners - duh!!! But they had no suggestions as to what I could do (that I already wasn't doing) to stop the contractions... It was such a scary and frustrating time. Honestly all I could do was pray. Nina was born early while I was on blood-thinners and all and I really feel like the Lord protected us.

Sorry for this long... comment :)! I would say just pray and hopefully you will feel peace in your decision. Best wishes for a safe delivery for you!!!

Ashlee said...

castor oil...

Jann said...

I used blue cohosh root. It comes in liquid form (tastes better than caster oil), and I had my babies that night. It is actually said to make labor, delivery and recovery easier for the mom. Have you asked the dr. to strip your membranes? One of my doctors did that, and I had that baby the same day. Ok, have you had enough advice?

Brenda said...

Thanks everyone for the advice and your thoughts. Castor oil, the "special tea" and the cohosh root are all great ideas! I didn't even think of that. Where can you get them? I heard castor oil really cleans you out, is that true?

Ashlee, thanks for the info. It's always good to hear from someone who has hands on experience. I think you are right about the doctors jumping to c-section because they think it's the safest. I just wish I could go on my own in the next couple of days!

Thanks for your prayers guys! Oh, and I would love to know where to get the "inducing solutions"...

The Tidwell Family said...

Oh Brenda, I am so sorry you have to make this choice. I will keep you in my prayers.

While you are in bed, and Brian is sleeping.....punch him. That is what broke my water. =)

Hey...My sister's SIL took all that STUFF to try to induce labor. All it did was make her really sick. Just FYI.

Maybe all this getting up and kneeling down from praying will put you into labor! =)

Kellie said...

I had to go through this 5 times. I wish I could say that it got easier, but I always did know what was right, and you will, too. 5 c-sections later, I'm in good shape, had easy recoveries and no problems whatsoever bonding with my babies. Medical science is inspired by Heavenly Father to bless our lives. I know that for sure. If you do have a c-section, I'll be the first one in line to help you over the unfamiliar sensations.

Mendy said...

Oh, Brenda! I think you and Brian have the right tools (prayer, pondering, etc) to make the right decision. In the meantime, I have my ringer on when I go to sleep at night, just waiting for your call...

Anonymous said...

http://yasinearth.blogspot.com/

Cheri said...

By now you've had your baby. Congratulations and I hope you have a speedy recovery!