Coombs Family Visit and Ashtyn Turns 3!

The Coombs family (Brian's oldest sister, her husband, and four kids) came to visit last week and we had a great time. Let me recap our week...

On Wednesday we picked them up and had a relaxing evening at home to give them a chance to rest. We also had a yummy BBQ and the girls were reacquainting themselves with their cute cousins.

On Thursday we went to Sandy Point and played in the beach! It took a little while for the kids to get excited about it all, but after a few hours, we were ready to go and the kids seemed to be just getting started. I was a little nervous to take a newborn to the beach (I've had a few bad experiences), but Raegan did wonderful and hardly made a peep!



When we got home, we had some yummy stuffed shells, a tradition in our family for visitors, and then all the kids had baths. The girls all slept downstairs and of course they loved that. It took them a few hours to fall asleep, but you just can't beat a good sleepover with cousins right?

Friday we went to D.C. and wore the kids out! Actually it pretty much wore all of us out. The kids were troopers though and we got a lot of looks with all of our eight kids and some funny comments, but it was great. Especially since Josh (their oldest) had been so sick and right when we got to the National Archives (after spending a heck of a long time in line) he had to run to the bathroom to puke! Yes, he and his mom and dad missed the whole exhibit! We were so sad, but also sad for poor Josh. The rest of the day was good though and Josh told me that he was "past tears" when he saw the Lincoln Memorial. (:



The kids all zonked out when we got home, but Bri, Tamara, Steve and I stayed up and talked. Yes, it was late and we were crazy, but we rarely get to see them, and we had a lot of fun reaquanting.

Saturday was Ashtyn's 3rd birthday! Our plans were that everyone would go to the National aquarium in Baltimore and Raegan and I would stay home and make birthday cake and birthday dinner. Well, they all left, but about two hours later they were back home. The aquarium was full and they would have to wait at least two hours to get in! They decided to go to Barnes and Noble instead and the kids had fun at a story hour and they each got to pick a book.


We decided to take it easy that evening and have a little party for Asthy. We had her favorite, home-made mac and cheese and watermelon. Then we unwrapped gifts and had cake and ice cream... We had another night of giggles from all the girls downstairs and we stayed up and watched a movie.


Sunday we went to church, came home and ate, and headed to the temple. It rained so we didn't get too much time outside, but I think they got some good pictures anyway.

Monday they decided to try for the aquarium again. This time it was a success! The kids all had a blast and many of them said they wanted to grow up to be dolphin trainers. Raegan and I stayed home again (I've seen it four times!), and mostly I tried to stop her crying... it was a hard day for her. I think she's trying to catch up on sleep. Anyway, the kids had a great time so that made it all okay. We went out to eat at Three Brothers that night and then came home and went to bed early.

The Coombs fam left at 5:00 a.m. yesterday morning and I have to say I've been quite sad. It is so nice to have company and someone to talk to during the day. Oh, and another great part is having my husband home to help with the kids. (: The girls LOVED having their cousins here too and got close to them! Shay came up to my room at about 5;30 a.m. crying because her cousins were gone! That's when you know they will be missed.

Thanks for the visit Coomb's family and we sure miss you!

Comments

Jann said…
What a fun visit. I am so grateful that Brian was willing to come to the hospital in the middle of the night Friday. I am sure he was beat after all the fun you've been having, and then we call. Thanks for sharing your hubby with us.
Julia said…
Sounds like so much fun! Happy Birthday Ashtyn! I can't believe it's been 3 years since you had her too! My girls still remember her as "Baby Ashtyn."
Julia said…
Sounds like you had a wonderful time! It's great when cousins come to visit!
Corinne said…
What a FUN visit! I can't believe she's three. I remember she was born the week I moved into the ward - so whenever I see how big she is, it feels like I've been here forever!!
Tracy said…
Give Ashtyn a big birthday hug from the Oberings. She left a lasting impression on us (and our carpet) when she visited. She's still adorable!
Julia said…
Oh, and I knew two twin Elders with the name Elder Coombs while I was in the MTC in August of 98. One of the Elder Coombs served in my mission too.. any relation?- Had to ask, you never know it is such a small Mormon world sometimes.
Jenni said…
Aren't cousins the best! I so wish our kids had the opprotunity to see theirs more! Sounds like you guys had a super fun visit with family! :)
Kellie said…
Your family is so beautiful, Brenda. It is fun to watch them grow.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet