Grandma and Grandpa visit and School Begins



So I'm playing catch up again.

It's been a busy, crazy, but fun month. We had cousins out for a week and then the next week we were all so sick! Not fun at all! Especially since Raegan had it too, she is just barely getting over it (some stomach flu). Well, after our week of sickness and a fun, but busy, primary quarterly activity (carnival), we had a week visit from my wonderful in-laws! It was probably the first time that I have spent so much alone time with them and it was really fun to get to know them better. My girls especially loved it because of course they got spoiled (they only get to see them about once a year). They made it clear right from the start that they didn't want to wear us out, but mostly wanted to spend some time with us. That was great to know since my kids were still struggling with the sick. We decided to take each day as it comes and hopefully coincide with the weather.

Here's a summary of our week. Saturday night we spent our time reacquainting. We had some Chinese take out and went to bed at a decent time (I was exhausted from a big day of primary quarterly, baptism, baby shower, and of course cleaning my house for my in-laws!).

Sunday we went to church and played games.


Monday we went shopping and that night grandma and grandpa took us to Golden Corral(so he could spoil the kids in the dessert section.... so he says (: ).

Tuesday was rainy so we took turns going to the temple. It's been, I don't know how long, that I have gotten to go with my husband! It was great and Raegan was great for them!


Wednesday we went to Antietam. It was a perfect day and despite the fact that we were on such a bloody battle field, it was beautiful! Grandma and especially grandpa loved this part of the trip! The girls were great because they got to watch Little House on the Prairie on the way and back (their favorite shows!).

Thursday we decided to do something for the girls, so we went to the zoo. The weather was great for this too and the girls had a great time. Thank goodness they didn't have to take a potty break though because grandpa and grandma spent most of their time there looking for the potty! Yes, they finally found it, but it took all of going to the amazon and back to get there.

Friday was meet the teacher day at school. Shaylee, Bri and I got to go alone to meet her kindergarten teacher and see her classroom. Her teacher is Mrs. White and she has Calvin Hirschi from our ward in her class. Everything went great. Shay seemed really excited and comfortable. I was surprised how emotional I was though! You would think that my second would be much easier, but it still pulls your heart strings!

We had a picnic at the park for lunch and then it was Teralyn's turn to meet her teacher. Tera's teacher is Ms. Martin. I think she will be a good teacher. We were sad that Tera's best friends aren't in her class. She has a good attitude though, and I think she will make friends easily. It looks like it's going to be a good year.

That night we had a little birthday party for grandpa and Teralyn (since they won't be here for Tera's b-day in September). Grandpa got a lot of nuts and sunflower seeds and Tera got a Willow Tree angel girl praying (she told grandma she wanted something breakable).

Saturday we braved the heat wave and decided to go to Mount Vernon (George Washington's home). Boy was it hot!! We barely made it from the museum to our car. Yes, we did go see the home, but when Ashtyn threw a fit and Raegan was screaming, Bri and I and the two younger girls stayed on the back porch looking over the Potomac. We had been in the home a few times before, so we weren't missing much. The highlight for the girls though was the mule and the horse that we saw on our walk back. I think they actually enjoyed the trip when all was said and done!

That night we put the girls to bed and then ordered sea food. No one touched the oysters and they didn't care for the scallops, so we had a lot of uneaten sea food at the end. The crab legs and steamed shrimp were awesome though!

Sunday, church again and our last night together. We all said our goodbyes and wished them well on their car trip back to Utah! The girls were sad to see them go, and we were too! It was wonderful to have company for so long and Bri got to take the whole week off also. I have especially missed them this week while my older two girls are in school and Bri is back at work!! Oh, and it's been great to have a babysitter around the house! We miss you grandma and grandpa!!

School Begins!!

Well, it was a rocky start to kindergarten! Bri and I were wakened by Shaylee at about six in the morning. She was crying and we thought it was because she missed her grandparents. We sent her back to bed with a hug and a kiss. Well, when she finally got up for school about an hour later, she was still crying. She got out of bed on her hands and knees, complaining her side hurt and she couldn't walk!! Of course, we knew it was nerves, but I think she really thought she was dying! Brian was pretty upset and told her to stop pretending. Being a little more sympathetic, (: I had a talk with her about how every kindergartner is new, not just her. I think something finally clicked and she was actually able to walk to the breakfast table. Leave it to the mom huh?

There were still a few more tears but we finally made it outside for pictures and then for our walk to school. It was probably the longest walk to school I have ever made. We looked quite the sight with Tera about a block in front, Dad, Raegan, and Ashtyn in the middle and then trailing at the end mom and Shay. By the time we got to school though, many of her fears dissipated and she was actually smiling (at least for the pictures).


It turns out that kindergarten is not all that bad. Who would have thought? It actually is really fun and, coming from Shay, "I love it?" Well, it was a great day for both girls. Shay wouldn't stop talking about all the fun things they did (weird for Shay), and Tera said she met up with her friends at recess. Ashtyn didn't seem at all bothered that they were at school and we had a fun day with each other. We even played Hullabaloo! Yes, we did the funky dance too.

The mood changed a little yesterday though when the girls came home from their second day. Tera seemed just fine, but Shay was sad. After a while they went out to play and Shay came in crying, saying she doesn't have any friends. After a while of coaxing, I got out of her that on her way to class that morning, she lost her sister and got pushed in the crowd, and couldn't find her class! She started crying and didn't know what to do, but after wandering around for a while, she found it. Tera felt bad for not staying with her, I think she forgot in the excitement. Shay also said that a boy at school yelled at her for touching his towel at rest time and then pulled her hair! Can a kid have a worse day?

Well, I think Shay will be okay. It's these kinds of things that make her stronger right? I just keep having to tell myself that. I guess I can't shelter them from bullies or problems that come their way forever. I just hope I can teach her how to cope and handle them. We shall see...

Comments

Corinne said…
I love that picture on the fence!! What a great visit ;)
Mendy said…
I am so sorry that Shaylee is having a rough time. She's such a sweet girl; she'd bound to get the hang of things soon. I'm glad you had a great visit with your in-laws. Ordering in seafood?...Sounds like it wasn't just the girls they spoiled!
Kellie said…
I love your catch-up posts. It sounds like you had a wonderful week-you did a lot! I hope Shay settles in soon.
Kellie said…
Oh yeah, that little baby seat that Raegan is sitting in is the coolest thing ever.
Tracy said…
Poor Shaylee. Find out who the little boy is and Sophia will go have a talk with him. I'm glad to see someone orders out for food as much as I do!
Julia said…
There's always so many different topics to comment on in your great "catch up posts." This time I just want to say how much I LOVE your photos. That first one of Raegan is awesome. Annelise would've loved to sit like that! Maybe we'll get one for Jocelyn. I love the photo of Brian with his parents and your girls... not sure what it is... just seeing all four of your girls together. I also just love the "off to school photo." Look at that cute attitude Ashtyn is giving! She looks so grown up! Hope Shaylee's next day is better! Good luck!
Joni said…
Raegan is so yummy!! I'm so glad we have girls close in age. I'm totally planning on moving back home next door to you:) And Tera is GORGEOUS! She is becoming a proper kid. I told Jeff that Shay started kindergarten this week and he could hardly believe it. I remember seeing you for the first time with baby Shay in your lap. You're really beginning a new era -- two in school!

p.s. I vote for a happy medium. How about small but perky??:)
Jenni said…
Oh that Bumbo pic of Raegan is adorable! Glad you got to have a fun visit with the in-laws!! Sorry to hear about Shay's hard day. I'm sure things will start looking up for her after she adjusts to everything. :)
Amber said…
Cute pictures. What a beautiful family you have.
Jann said…
It is so great to have Grandparents come. I loved the pictures. What fun.
Julia said…
Wow, great visits, stressful school days, what's next? Here's hoping Shay works it out soon and starts making friends--that will make a big difference, I'm sure
Cami said…
Wow! What a busy week, and a great start to school, as much a the stress can let it be. Your girls are so cute. Raegan is getting so big!
ashlee said…
wow, you guys have been going hard! good times. (LOVE that you took time out to come to the park! so fun to see you and your youngests!).
Deb said…
calvin keeps talking about this boy in their class that gets in trouble. i wonder if he's the hair-puller. just tell her that's how boys say they like you. :) i'm sure she'll make lots of friends soon!
Meg said…
The kiddos are growing up! I still remember when I taught Teralyn and the kids were all getting ready to start kindergarten. I also love that cute outfit on Raegan. Is it from Gap?
Jeri said…
It was nice to catch up with you. Your photos are beautiful!

It is so different to be a parent of the one that might be the bully. If Wyatt was in Shay's class, I would ask him if he did it! =) So far we haven't had any issues. (fingers crossed.)

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet