Eye Doctor, First Step and Swivel Swiffer...

When Ashtyn was in preschool they had an eye exam for all the little preschoolers. I thought for sure that she would pass. Well, we got a letter a couple weeks back saying she didn't pass and that she has an astigmatism. Ugh! I was really sad about that one because I have an astigmatism and can't wear contacts because of it, and therefore have been cursed with glasses since I was in kindergarten (I'm still holding off until lasik is 100% guaranteed.)

Anyway, today we went in to check out the verdict for her eyes. We went to a great pediatric opthamologist in Clarksville (I hear the best in Maryland) and low and behold, she has great vision! I was so happy. She even saw things better than I did with my glasses on. The doctor said she did have a slight astigmatism, but nothing to worry about yet, and a little far sightedness (I guess it's common in children), but a 20/25 record. Horray! So no glasses for my little one quite yet.


Raegan took her first step a couple of days ago. We missed it on camera, but it was so fun to see. She is now way past the time that my other girls walked (except Tera, she walked at 13 months), so I was starting to get a little nervous. She doesn't even want to try. She is slowly getting there, but would much rather crawl. She uses her knees like no other, and even has some callouses. We are thinking it's her fear of falling since she has had many of those from some mysterious little girl who likes to push her around. Well, we were so happy to see her take a first step and she had a huge cheering session from all her sisters and even clapped herself. Hopefully this will be the start to something. We shall see...

The other day Shaylee was watching something on tv and an infomercial came on. It was for a swivel swiffer (or something like that). I didn't pay much attention and neither did Brian, but Shay sure did. In the middle of it she came running up to Brian and said, "We NEED to buy a Swivel Swiffer dad! It goes on carpet, on stairs, on hardwood, and even swivels around!" After about two minutes of talking up all the features as fast as she could, she turned back to the infomercial that said, "Now you can have two for the price of one." She turned back to Brian and said, "DAD, DAD! Oh my goodness, now we can have TWO!!". She couldn't believe her eyes. I guess it's a good thing Shay doesn't control the money around here....

Comments

Joni said…
Ha ha! That reminds me of an Onion parody where the "reporter" told of a buyer who still found their life empty and devoid of meaning "even after getting my Swiffer."
Cami said…
Oh my. Slave to the infomercial! My kids aren't allowed to watch TV shows that have commercials (because they are always big kid shows) so every now and then they see commercials and MAN are they sold on the stuff. Jeffy sat there mezmerized saying, "I want that. I want that," to each product!
Jenni said…
Yay for Raegan and also that Ashtyn's eyesight is fine! Happy news! Ben tells me he wants things from infomercials all the time - especially that electric toothbrush looking grout scrubber - kids are funny!:)
Christie said…
My kids LOVE That infomercial too!!! They keep asking for one. And they were sucked in to the two for one deal too. Liza has written the phone number down for me twice! LOL!!! Too funny. So glad to hear about the eyes being okay, I hope she stays that way.
Tracy said…
I have astigmatsim too and I can wear contacts. We need to talk. And Chris said you told him some bad things about Lasik -- I was not pleased, because I really want it. Now go buy sweet Shaylee her swivel swiffer!
Deb said…
that is funny! the power of marketing is amazing. :)

and congrats to raegan! samuel is standing by himself but no walking yet. i'm kind of glad.

and thanks for writing to shaylee and calvin's teacher! i didn't even think of that!
Julia said…
So funny! Those commercials always make the toys look so cool too. It sure is amazing how observant kids are. Good luck on the aStigmatism. I too am holding out for a more perfecte lasik surgery. My mom did it when she had her cataract surgery at the same time. She wore glasses/contacts from 4 years to 64 years. & Now enjoys perfect vision.... but yikes... the idea of someone performing surgery on my eyes... I mean, I've had enough damaged nerves from doctor's needle mistakes in my life.... but eyes... scary.
Jeri said…
Cute post! I am glad Ashton's eyes are good. I would like to get the name of the eye doctor from you though.

My kids saw a commercial for the "pancake puff" pan. They want one so bad! I told them we should get it for Dad for fathers day! (he he...that would be so funny!)

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet