31 Weeks and Counting

In two days, it will officially be four weeks since I have been in the hospital. It's actually gone by faster than I thought it would. Although some days I think I am going crazy and just want to break out and run the halls, most of the time it hasn't been terrible. I've watched way too much tv and movies, read some books and lots of magazines, eaten way too much chocolate, learned how to knit while listening to books on mp3 (thanks Mendy!), and talked my nurses ears off. It seems like the life right? It actually is sometimes. I'll probably miss it when I am back to my normal routine, making meals, doing dishes, laundry, etc. etc., and of course all that with a new baby. So, this is what keeps me feeling sane. I won't get this again for a very long time, might as well enjoy it. Oh, and it has helped so much to have so many of my kind friends and family visit, call and write letters. Thank you, thank you! I can't tell you how much it has meant to me.
Well, to put another drama into my life, (it feels like I have something new every week), there was a blood clot found in my leg. It had been hurting for a few days and I finally decided I should say something about it, so they gave me an ultrasound and found a few. Now, before you fret too much, it wasn't in my deep veins, but in the artificial ones on the top. Therefore, it will probably not be anything to worry about and won't travel to my heart. But, it does mean that my doctors are little more nervous about my veins and my clotting and so they have put me on a blood thinner which is injected twice a day in my stomach. Hmm.... I was not happy about that, and neither is my stomach I tell you. With getting stuck for the heparin twice a day, getting blood drawn every three days and changing my IV every four days, I'm starting to feel like a science experiment. The good news is, I am now officially 31 weeks along, so not too much longer to go. I can do this right?
Mothers Day last Sunday was wonderful. Really it was. I had a great nap in the afternoon and then my cute husband brought all my kids and my mom with roses, cheesecake, gift card from Old Navy (hee hee), and cards my kids had made for me. We had a fun little party in my hospital room. I was also so glad to share it with my sweet mother who is still here helping us. We got to surprise her with her mother's day present too, which was that we arranged for my dad to come and stay with us for a while. Of course she found our surprise a couple days early when she was searching on her bank website. Oh that mom, always finding out her secrets! But, I think she was pretty excited even if she wasn't too surprised.
So my dad came Tuesday and I couldn't be happier, I think they are pretty happy to see each other too. It has now been six weeks since she has left him to help us out! I tell ya, I feel like I can never repay her for all she has done. I knew she was missing my dad more than anything, and he was missing her, so this makes me feel much better. And the best thing is, he is here for three weeks! Yes, three weeks, can you believe it? Those who know my dad probably can't. I mean he even left his cub scout troupe to be here. That's saying something. (:
My kids have been troupers through this whole thing. They of course are loving this time with grandma and grandpa and don't get it a lot, so I am grateful that they have this time to get to know each other better. I know they are in good hands. Brian has been taking them to see me two at a time lately rather than all four at once, and this has helped with the craziness.
Well, here we go off to another week. Every day I make it with this baby is another accomplishment. Can't wait to make it 32 weeks!!

Comments

Hi Brenda,
Just catching up on how you are doing! I'm so glad to read the updates and glad you seem to be in good spirits. I've wanted to come see you and hope to soon! You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Lots of love,
Christina
Julia said…
Brenda, I'm worried about you & all those shots & blood draws. You tell them be careful with those needles! No joke. They damaged a nerve by my knee with a shot. Make sure they know where the nerves are & that the needles aren't too long. Don't ever let them inject a needle directly into your muscle.

Sorry to be a warning voice, it's just that I've learned by experience they don't always make the right choices. I'm hoping and praying for you that all will be well. I love you. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Jann said…
I am glad to hear an update. I have missed coming to see you. I got sick and did not want to bring it to you. I got one of those same kind of blood clots while in Italy. They may say they are superficial, but man they really hurt. I got to experience the shots in the stomach, only I had to give them to myself. That was totally creepy.

It sounds like your spirits are good, and that is huge. You have such a good attitude. Stay well.
Deb said…
so proud of you, brenda, for hanging in there with such a positive attitude! we're thinking of you!
Jenni said…
Oh man! I am sorry about the shots in the stomach! That bring back very unpleasant memories from Nina's pregnancy, but thank heavens they have medications for things like that even if it's a total pain! I'm glad you had a nice mothers day with cheesecake and all! Best wishes Brenda and I hope these next weeks will go by quickly for you!
Christie said…
I had no idea you were going through all this. Should read your blog more often I guess. Well, I'll be praying for you. And I hope you continue to enjoy your current state of helplessness. Milk it my friend. :-) LOL
The Bryans said…
Way to go Brenda! You are doing awesome! Thinking of you so much. Keep up that good attitude!
Angie said…
I don't know why I haven't been reading about all the stuff that's going on with you. It's nice to talk to you on the phone cause I feel like I can really tell how you are feeling. I love your blog. I'm so glad Mom and Dad are/were there. I wish I could come and help. Love you sis.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet