One Crazy Summer

I was hoping to stay up on my blog now that I am in the hospital, but apparently the hospital has blocked any websites for blogging or Facebooking, so I finally decided that I would make the most of it and email Brian my posts and have him blog it for me. So, here goes...

Well, as most of you know, it's been quite a crazy five or so weeks for our family. On my 19th week check up, during the ultrasound, my doctor told me that I have placenta previa. She said that it was marginal and that hopefully it would resolve itself by the end of the pregnancy. I was actually kind of expecting it because of all the low lying problems I have had from the beginning. She didn't give me any instructions of bedrest though and just reassured me that it would be good in a way, because I would get extra ultrasounds. So... I didn't think much about it.

About four weeks later when I was around 24 weeks along, I woke up at two in the morning with pretty heavy bleeding. Since it was so late at night, we decided to wait and see if it went away and went back to sleep. Which it did, thankfully. Then the next morning I went in to get it checked out where I got quite a lashing from my doctor about not calling in the night. Well, what's a tired pregnant girl supposed to do, I mean I need my sleep too right? Anyway, it made us quite a bit more cautious. Still I wasn't put on bedrest, but told I need to take it a little easier.

Two days later I had another bleeding episode. Of course it was a Saturday, (argh!) so I knew I would be submitted to the hospital. Apparently their beepers weren't working that day, but the next day (Sunday) I was able to get through and then sent to the hospital. This time I was submitted over night and thankfully the bleeding had stopped by the time I got there. They gave me steroid shots for the baby's lungs and the next day did another ultrasound where they found that the placenta previa wasn't just marginal, but complete. Meaning completely over the cervix. This time they sent me home on strict bed rest.

Meanwhile, my sweet friend had taken my kids and arranged a whole bunch of meals for us. I really don't know what I would have done without her. It was so nice to know my kids had somewhere to go that week and meals were taken care of! So, I sat on the couch all week hoping it was all just be a temporary fix and my uterus would grow a whole bunch in the next few weeks, migrating the placenta up and that everything would be fine. The next ultrasound was scheduled on my 28th week which was still three and half weeks away, so I knew I would be stuck at least until then.

I called my mom and let her know my situation and the first thing she said was, "do you need me to come out and watch your kids?". Oh man, I couldn't have heard sweeter words than that. So, she scheduled a flight for a few days later and she's been out here ever since. Which has been quite a while I tell you!

Okay so, we spent the next two weeks with my mom. She made our breakfasts, lunches, dinners, took the kids to school and back every day, cleaned my house (I mean thoroughly cleaned it), washed dishes, played with Raegan and put her to naps, etc. etc.. Oh, she is going to be so tired after this whole thing. And, I had to stay on the couch watching her do everything. Oh, and let's not forget, Raegan had just started potty training before this whole thing came to pass, and it was going well, but now has taken a back burner. So, as I have been wearing my mom out, she has watched me sit on the couch with my books. I tell you, it was nice for the first few days, but has gotten quite hard. Since I feel pretty good, it's easy to get up and just do a few things and think nothing about it.

After two weeks of this, one day I had a really hard day and didn't feel right, I went to take a nap for a little while, and woke up with pretty heavy bleeding. We called the doctor, which she sent us right down to the hospital. The bleeding stopped after the first night there and thankfully they didn't have to take our baby yet. I was then 27 weeks along. The next day I had another ultrasound where they found the baby just doing great, but my placenta still completely covering my cervix. So... I was told I would be staying in the hospital, for a least a few weeks.

So now I am 29 weeks along, the baby is doing great, but no real changes with my previa. Apparently, it takes two to four weeks for the placenta to move at all, so I still have another week or so before the next ultrasound. Today is Sunday and on Tuesday I will have been in the hospital for two weeks. Am I going a little crazy? I think I'm starting to get there. Although I can't complain too much because I have had so many wonderful friends visit me and do things for my family and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. It makes me so emotional as I'm typing this, thinking of all of my wonderful friends and family who have supported us. I really do feel blessed. Our baby has made it much further than we could have hoped, and my kids and family are all happily at home with each other. What more could I ask for I tell you! I can't think of a better situation for us in this crazy time that we are in. And, how can I express my gratitude for my sweet mom, I really don't know, but I hope to find a way that I can someday. She has repeatedly told me that she will stay as long as I need her. It has now been about four weeks that she has been here, and I know it's not easy for her or for my dad at home alone. But, she keeps telling me not to worry, she wants to do this and that when this baby comes out healthy, it will all be worth it. Just to have that security that my kids are feeling right now, while their mom is in the hospital, makes it worth it to me.

Now here's to hoping, and praying, that the placenta will move up and out of the way in the next few weeks. I have been told that it doesn't usually happen, if it does at all, until after 32 weeks. So, I may have a few more weeks in the hospital. Brian comes to visit me every evening ( last night we played Scrabble, one of these days I will beat him I tell you!) and mom and my girls come about every three days. Since there's not too much to do here (expect push buttons) they get a little bored, but it's always great to see them. In the meantime, I am watching too much tv, snacking a little too much (thanks Tracy for telling the ward to bring me chocolate!), gaining more and more weight by the day, catching up on books I have meant to read forever, and doing a lot of email. So, I'm keeping my spirits up. I even get bathroom privileges now, which I am very grateful for. I tell you, those bed pans are no fun.... And next time I will keep you posted before I have to write another essay...

Comments

COOLWHIP said…
Wow. It sounds crazy. I'm glad to hear the baby is doing well. Dont go too crazy. I'm home during the day if you want somone to talk to!
Meg said…
I'll be praying for you. I agree about bedpans :(
Jenni said…
I'm so sorry you are going through all this Brenda! So glad to hear that the baby is doing well and your mom is able to be there for your kids. I hope you'll be able to keep that baby cooking as long as possible! I'll be praying for you!**hugs**
Emily said…
I hadn't heard. So sorry :(

Your mom is a really amazing lady and it's wonderful she can be there to help out. Good luck staying busy, I don't envy you.

We'll be praying for you.
Ahhhh....Brenda! How hard that must be. You sound in pretty good spirits though. Thank goodness for your Mother and chocolate always helps. I will be thinking about you and praying for you and your little one.
Julia said…
Wow. What a story! I'll be up to see you soon, I promise!
layna said…
We think of you often and wish you were closer so we all could help. Your lucky your mom in a position to stay and help.Your in our prayers

Layna
Kellie said…
I'm glad to have an update. I was gone at the beginning of your hospital stay, then I've been sick for the last week, which is all to explain why I haven't been to see you. I love you though and am thinking about you! Take good care of yourself and follow the rules, okay?
Dawn said…
OH NO Brenda what a nightmare, the things we go thru to have these little treasures. I'm with you on the bedrest thing. I had Pre Eclampsia with freyja and was on bedrest for weeks then it went to Eclampsia so they took her out fast. Thinking of you babe
Nat said…
Hope all goes well the next few weeks!! Definately will be thinking of you and praying for you and baby!

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet