A Name and a Blessing



Well, it's been a crazy few last weeks! I have to say that I would love to talk to the person who once told me that after three kids, it's a breeze. I think they must have stopped around two! We have had our ups and downs, and sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to get easier, but there are definitely those times where everything seems worth it. Today was one of those days.


Raegan was blessed today. Although we didn't have any family here to share it with, it didn't stop the wonderful spirit that was there. My mom made her a beautiful blessing dress and she was asleep through the whole thing! A couple of people from the ward jotted down notes of the blessing. I was glad to sit back with my girls and take it in. After church we took her outside and got some more photos.


I'm going to play a little catch up. Brian is doing the dishes right now and all my kids are in bed! So, I will quickly summarize the last few weeks...

Shaylee graduated from preschool. They did a really cute preschool celebration and you've gotta love those pictures (yes, that is an orange peel in her mouth).
After we said goodbye to everyone and gave hugs, Shay had a little cry. I thought it was so sweet. She is definitely going to miss her friends and her cute teachers. I think they will miss her too.




The other great thing that happened this last week was that Tera and Shay both learned how to ride a bike! Without the training wheels that is! We were all quite excited. Shay was pretty determined to do it and we encouraged her a little, but she basically taught herself and by the end of the day was zooming around the neighborhood. Teralyn was motivated by that and with Brian's help, learned the very next day. Now we can't seem to get them off. Yay!!!




As far as how we are doing with a new baby in the family, we are doing well. Tired, but well. Raegan is still learning to sleep on her own during the day so I hold her a lot. But, I shouldn't complain too much because night times are usually good. She usually wakes a couple of times a night to eat, but most of the time goes back to sleep on her own. Of course, I never complain when Brian lets me sleep in. All the sleep we can get at this stage right?

The thing that is the hardest for me is juggling my time between my four girls, my husband, my calling, dinners, bills, etc. etc... Any advice from you mothers out there will help. It's amazing how much time a new baby takes especially when you want to spend quality time with your other kids. I am still trying to figure that out. Hopefully someday I will be better at it. For now I am trying to take one day at a time and enjoy...

Comments

Joni said…
Hey, it looks like we have similar babies! Sara is just beginning to be alert during the day and she likes to be held too. But the nights are good -- eat and go back to bed.

I love the pictures you've got up. You look beautiful in the blessing picture! You've got me scared about 4, though:) Isn't it just "more the merrier" after 3? Ha!!
Julia said…
What a beautiful post & photos- wish I could've been there. Jill Plumb wrote down Annelise's blessing for me. It was such a cool surprise when she handed it to me. Such a great idea.

You are so amazing! What a wonderful Mom you are. I wish I was there to bring dinner or watch your older girls for you. Wish we could get our girls together for a playdate!
Julia said…
She's so beautiful! You and your whole family are! And what a special day for all of you.

Congrats to Shay for graduating pre-schoold and for riding a bike! And yay for Tera too! :D

Good luck with the juggling act. I don't think it ever gets easier, no matter how few or how many things there are to juggle...
Alicia said…
Yeah, I am not sure if I am the best for advice. I only have 3, my youngest being 14 months, and I still don't feel like I spend enough time with the other two girls! Especially because Ashlyn is very clingy! Anyway, it will get better with time. Best of luck!
Jenni said…
I think you DO need to track that woman down who told you that!! :) I feel overwhelmed sometime with my 3, so I don't have any advice for a mommy of 4!! :) Just know that I think you are an awesome mom and your kids are so sweet! Hope it gets a little easier as Raegan get a little older. :) Oh, and Raegan looked oh so cute in her beautiful dress yesterday!! :)
Cami said…
What a beautiful family. It was a lovely blessing, and thank you for making us be on time to church, too!

Good luck with the hard baby stuff. I will be happy to hold her any old time. She is so cute. I know that first few months is extremely trying. Good luck and call me if you need me!
Jann said…
I really enjoyed reading this post. It brought back a lot of memories for me. Adding another child to your family is always an adjustment. Each time, it was a challenge for me, but with a little time, we always seemed to be able to settle into a routine, and function as best we could as a family. I have worried a lot about making mistakes as a mother, about not doing enough. My sister said to me, no matter the mistakes we make, if your children know you love them with everything you have, they will be okay. I have held onto that through all my mothering blunders, and there have been many.

I will not even come close to claiming I am an expert in how to handle all of this well. I will only share a little of what I have done. I guess my only advise to you is this, be prayerful in your daily choices and you will be led to make the right ones. I had to realize I could not do everything, and had to be selective in the activities I became involved in. It was always easy to choose between myself and my family, my family always came first. However, it became more difficult for me when it was something outside my home especially my callings. I guess I learned that I couldn't do things to super human proportions, and that doing my callings in simple, small ways was acceptable. Saying no is sometimes a necessity. Remembering that your calling as a mother is first and the most important one.

The other thing I have learned is, as you open your home to a new child, somehow you are able to handle the blessing, with heavenly intervention. Your heart becomes big enough, your capacity to handle things becomes big enough. Not without struggle, but with lots of help from above.

One thing I do, to get one on one time with my kids, is they take turns going on errands with me. I will take one to the grocery store, etc. I love these times, as it gives me time with each child to listen to their feelings, and thoughts on life. My sister had seven kids, and each child had a night of the week that they got to stay up half an hour later than everyone else, and do whatever they chose with mom and dad.

Sorry about the long post here, I just so relate to this, and still struggle with it myself.
Julia said…
Hmmm, I had heard that #3 was the hardest too- but then it's taken me 4 years now to think about having more than 2 children. 2 is just so comfortable & this 3rd pregnancy feels like the biggest transition ever!- So much more than the first baby. I don't know what it is about turning 30 and being pregnant with my 3rd child that makes me feel so much older now. So, I too appreciate everyone's comments... because I think EVERY child is a transition. Each deserves so much love and a place in the heart & home.
Brenda said…
Thanks so much for all your comments and advice! It really helps to know that others have been through it and I can rely on friends! Thanks again!!
ashlee said…
Great update! Beautiful blessing dress (beautiful baby!). Glad you were able to enjoy it.

i can't give much advice except lower your expectations. spend the time you can with the girls and let the house go!
Corinne said…
Brenda - you do SUCH a great job. I think we really have give ourselves a lot of transition time after having a baby, don't you? I remember after Preston was born I wanted so much to just have things feel NORMAL again, but when I finally figured out that I had to get used to a different sort of normal, I felt more in control of things :) I'd love to have the girls over sometimes - yay that they can ride bikes!!
What a wonderful day! I love baby blessings! I am so happy for Shay and Tera too! I remember when you were worried that Shay was going to be too shy and reserved, now you'll be chasing her all over the neighborhood wishing she wasn't so outgoing! I'm glad that you can blog about the tough times, I think it is an awesome forum to keep us moms sane.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet