Independence (in many ways!)


We had some friends from our old ward come and visit last week. They were taking a break in between moves (from Vienna to Athens!), visiting family and friends and we were lucky enough to get to spend some time with them. My girls didn't remember them from three years ago, so it took some time for all the girls to get comfortable with each other, but they finally did. We have a cute picture of them at the pool. Have a great trip Christy and family, we sure miss you here!

Independence Day was great. Our ward breakfast was awesome and then that night we had a fun BBQ with friends and I got to play Guitar Hero!! Yay! I have heard so much about it, and finally I got a chance to join in. It was great. I will definitely need some practice though!

While I was enjoying Guitar Hero with the Turpins, Brian decided he would chance the hail, rain, and chance of a tornado and took all three girls out to see the fireworks! I couldn't believe they actually did it. He came home with three tired, but happy girls and said they had a great time. He said on the way to the show, the weather was almost the worst he had ever driven in, but when they got there, it had died down and they had great seats because everyone had left. They sat by friends from the ward and he said the girls were having the time of their lives (considering our oldest is getting hard to entertain lately). We all had a good time. Thanks to the Turpins for letting Raegan and I stay and for the great Guitar Hero experience!!



Okay, the other fun thing that has been happening this last week is potty training!! Yes, my favorite thing in the world. Actually, this time around it has been much much easier. I decided to wait until Ashtyn was almost three this time (her birthday is in August). I have learned from past experience that if I start earlier, it just takes longer and I am more frustrated. Ashtyn finally had the motivation to do it (preschool in the fall) and I have had a little more energy lately, so we decided to plunge forward. Cold turkey is the way we did it this time. We put her in panties and she did amazingly well. Of course, we had a few accidents, but I was actually surprised at how fast she picked it up!! Thank goodness is all I can say! We have had our fair share of poopy accidents with her though. One happened this last Sunday at the Oberings house!! Yes, she pooped on their carpet! She has also left a trail on our sweet friend Mendy's skirt. Oh, and we can't forget the stain she left at Picture People's wall when she was four weeks old. Hopefully this will be the end, cross your fingers. (:

A few months ago I found an old piano in the Penny Saver for free! We called up and they said we could have it, but it didn't work. Well, we checked it out and the frame was great, it just needed about 400 or 500 dollars worth of work on it. We decided to take it and Brian was determined to fix it himself. "Yeah right" I thought. Yes, I admit it, I didn't believe he would do it. I know, I know, have a little faith right? Well, it's just that he has a million projects right now and a new baby in the house. How would he find the time? Well, he did. Last night he finished it. He replaced all the elbows in the bottom, sauntered them on, and then screwed them back into place. I was very impressed. What a great hubby!!



Our family is finally starting to feel a little more normal after having a baby. Our routine is coming along now and Raegan is doing better, even smiling sometimes! I was actually really nervous to take all four girls out alone, but I am doing it and I even take them all to the pool! I am quite proud of that. I guess I can't take all the credit though because every time I go, there has been someone from the ward there and I always have help. My older girls are learning that to be part of a family, you need to do your part. They are really doing well with helping around the house (with a little persuasion that is). The best help is when they hold Raegan and they are always willing to do that!

Comments

Jenni said…
Brenda, so many fun things in this post! I am impressed by Brian's handiness in fixing the piano - wow!! Also, how fun that you got to visit with the Smiths!! Good job w/ Ashtyn and the potty training!!! We need to go to the pool with you guys - Sophie would love it!!
Julia said…
Oh, what a fun girl party! How great to visit with Christy & girls again. I would love to have been there & see you all again! Thanks for all the great memories. Y'all are so awesome!
Jann said…
It was so fun to have Brian and your girls come to fireworks. I always felt like having a party when one of mine potty trained. Way to go. Very fun post. I am amazed that Brian fixed the piano. How great that you now have one in your house. I love having music played in our home. We were laughing one day, because our front room has seven instruments in it, and I love it.
Joni said…
That's a lot going on! It feels surreal that we saw Christy in Vienna and now she was at your house in Maryland. It's so great that she was able to come visit you.

I'm duly impressed that Brian fixed the piano. Really, where did he find the time? Thanks for the song suggestions too! I had totally forgotten about ABBA. That is GREAT workout music!
Cami said…
Wow! Brian fixed the piano?? Crazy times! We had fun with you guys on the 4th, and way to go for Brian braving that weather.

I am not talking to you about potty training. Hmph.
Julia said…
How much fun for you! Friends, more friends, and potty training! I am very impressed that Brian could fix the piano. I may have to hire him to come look at mine (I'm JUST KIDDING!)
Kellie said…
I loved reading all your impressions and observations of your daily life. It sounds pretty heavenly, even in the midst of all you have to do. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet