On the Way Home.....

Yesterday Brian went to a stake youth conference as a supervisor. He left at 7:00 in the morning and said he wouldn't be home until about 11:00 that night. The girls and I decided to make a day out of it since we didn't have Bri with us. We had a fun day together and around 3:30 Teralyn went to her first piano lesson (she was so excited!) and then we went to the park to eat our dinner. We came home, watched Benji Unleashed, and had popcorn. We said family prayer and personal prayers where each of my girls prayed for their dad to come home safely.

When I had some time alone, I quickly straightened the house and did the dishes. Then I got ready for bed and watched t.v. for a little while. About ten minutes later (around 11:00) I get a call from Brian. He asked me how I was doing and I said fine, but I knew right away something was wrong. I asked him how he was and he said, "I'm okay now, but I was just in an accident and I don't know how I made it alive".

He went on to explain that he had been driving down I95 south in the fast lane, when he saw from the corner of his eye something flying toward him from the other direction. He realized it was an upside down minivan and it had flown over the barricade and was headed right toward his car! He quickly swerved the car and felt himself spin in the other two lanes. The car then did a 360 degree turn and as it was slowing down, he could see the heavy traffic from I95 heading right toward him. He said he thought this was the end, that the on coming traffic would hit him, and he would be in a world of hurt. Miraculously, the car behind him stopped in just enough time to not hit him, and the other cars swerved out of the way.

Amazingly enough, Brian nor his car, was even scratched. After it was all over, his car slid to the side of rode. He got out of his car and there was not even a scratch. Even our new tires still looked fine. The lady who was right behind him in her car came over and talked to him. He thanked her for her quick reaction
in stopping and she gave him a hug.

Everyone in the van was fine. Bri said there were a few bloody faces and scratches, but they all were able to walk away from it. It had been upside down, but it had landed on it's side. They were all amazed that there wasn't a death.

Bri got to leave the accident pretty quickly because he didn't witness why the minivan had rolled. I guess we will never know why the minivan had rolled in the first place. It was a bunch of people in the van who were in their young 20's or so. Our guess is that they were on their way to line up for the Harry Potter book. Bri said their music was pretty loud, they looked like they were having a good time. Maybe too much of a good time...

Two weeks ago we had new tires put on our car. It has been at least three years since we have done that. Our old tires were terrible. Every time we would go out in the rain, we would slide. We talked about it for a long time, but never got around to doing it until two weeks ago. Thank goodness we did.

We still don't know how Brian made it alive. I am just so grateful for my sweet girls who asked Heavenly Father to bless their dad. There is no other explanation for such a miracle. To think I could have lost my husband so quickly, and that my girls could have lost their dad is very humbling. Brian said as the cars were headed toward him all he could think about is, "I can't die, I have a daddy daughter date tomorrow". Of all the things he could have been thinking of and he was thinking about his girls.

It's times like this that you realize how precious life is. How quickly each of us could die is amazing to me. What if I were to die tomorrow, am I putting my priorities straight in my life? Am I living each day as if it were the last? What am I doing that I would be ashamed of if I were to meet my maker? I am so thankful for my great husband and for the wonderful father and priesthood holder he is. I think he would have been ready if it had happened, but I'm so grateful he didn't and that now we have a chance to make our lives better...

Comments

Julia said…
Oh, you're making me cry. I'm so glad he's okay. You both are such wonderful parents... Life just wouldn't go one if you couldn't all have each other. You deserve all the goodness in the world. So, glad he was protected... nothing is sweeter than listening to little girls pray for their daddy & I know that God listens to such sincere prayers. Love you!
Joni said…
That is just simply unbelievable. To have a minivan came across the median at you, in the air no less! My teeny accident taught me how quickly things can change and how other people's actions can come out of nowhere -- no matter how careful of a driver you are. I shudder to think that I could have been learning that Brian didn't make it and just how horrible that would be. I am so grateful that he was protected. Wow, my heart is still beating fast from this story... I think I would have burst into tears on the phone.
Thank goodness for prayers and new tires! That is so sweet about the daddy daughter date, Brian is such a good dad for daughters. We miss him so much as our home teacher! Thanks for the post, I still have goosebumps...
Cami said…
Wow, that is a seriously scary sounding accident. I just don't know what i'd do if a car was flying toward me! I'm so glad you got those new tires and your girls prayed for him.
ashlee said…
Wow. Soooooooooo scary. Obviously, I'm so glad he wasn't hurt. I can't believe the car is fine, too! What an amazing chain of events that he went through to stay safe. Really unbelievable.
Jenni said…
Wow. A miracle to be sure. I am so glad Brian is alright! Thanks for sharing this amazing story!
Julia said…
Oh how scarey!!! I'm so glad everything is ok, that no one was hurt--and that's a rather larger miracle there too! :::hugs:::
Dawn said…
Nightmare, so glad he is OK, you are probably not. I guess it takes a while to stop feeling sick to your stomach
Jann said…
What an amazing story. I am so glad Brian is okay. Kerrie was telling me about this, and I was thinking, I wonder when that happened. I had no idea it was so recently. I loved the pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet