When it rains, it pours...

When it rains it pours. At least when it comes to sicknesses in our family lately. It all started about two weeks ago when Raegan got Roseola. Just a day or so after she recovered Ashtyn came down with a fever. At first I thought maybe Roseola, but it seemed a little different, her fever wasn't as high. Well, her fever broke and then she started complaining of a sore throat. So we checked and yes, she had blisters covering her mouth and her tonsils. Pour girl! I knew right away it was Hand Foot and Mouth disease. So, we sent her to bed and I started thinking and wondering about this weird rash that had just appeared on my leg. I had been having hip and leg pain for a couple of days (just on my left side) and now I had this rash. Could it be Hand Foot and Mouth? Well, I looked it up and realized that it was probably Shingles!! Could I actually have Shingles at my age? I didn't even consider it until then because I thought I was too young. I quickly called my mom and she suggested to call the doctor that night and see if I could get in for the Viral shot that is supposed to stop your shingles from spreading. The problem is, it doesn't work unless you get it in the first 48 hours. I counted the hours in my head, and it had been almost 48.

The doctor wanted me to wait until morning, so I got in as early as I could and sure enough, Shingles...and I was too late for the medication. My doctor wouldn't even consider giving it to me though because I'm a nursing mother. You just have to wait it out, was all she said... Hmm.... Well, I went home a little frustrated and a little worried (since I had heard of long term effects from shingles) and couldn't keep back the tears. Bri gave me a great blessing that night and my spirits were so much better the next day. Although my leg hurts and still does, I feel like I am going to get through it just fine.

The next few days I had my older two girls catch the dreaded Hand Foot and Mouth disease. So, we took a doctor trip just to make sure because Shay's tonsils were closing up (they were SO swollen). Then I had a wierd UTI infection that popped up (could that be what caused the Shingles... hmm...), and just when I thought Tera was all better, I sent her to school and had to go pick her up early for a weird rash that had appeared all over arms!! What is going on?

Okay, my other big worry is that I will give my sweet baby chicken pox, since I am currently a carrier, and she hasn't been immunized for them yet. Well, so far no chicken pox, but she did bless us, and herself, with a cold which she is currently fighting. I ask you, what else can our family have at one point in time? I am just waiting for Job to come down and tell me that I am going to make it through. I definitely have a new appreciation for him....

Comments

Tracy said…
Oh, sweet Brenda. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I wish I could do something for you. I pray this leaves your family soon and you can start enjoying the spring and get out of the pain you all are in. You are so loved and we all are here for you if you need anything.
Christie said…
Oh dear.... I am so Sorry. Sounds like you're all weathering the storm well. It really is pouring over there. We love you and all, but thanks for not sharing it at church :-)
Jann said…
Man Brenda. Is there anything I can do? So sorry you are going through this.
Deb said…
oh no! brenda! calvin said shaylee had been out for a few days. he was worried because she forgot her lunchbox. i hope everyone's on the mend now. do you need anything over there, under quaranteen? :)
Nat said…
Man oh man!! I don't think there is anything else that could go wrong, or I would hope not! Good luck getting yourself and everyone else better!
Jenni said…
Oh Brenda I'm so sorry all of this is happening to you!! I hope that you will recover soon! Please let me know if I can do anything to help!
COOLWHIP said…
It sounds like it's pouring.... At least it will all be done with together, so it's not a 2 month long orderal. I remember Sahra got roseola when she was under 2, and the dr. told me it a 2 and under sickness. And we have also had foot in mouth diesease, it was about the same time you had it last time. I was just glad Eva who was 3 months old didn't get it.....
I hope you all feel better soon!
Cami said…
Yuck. I'm sorry everyone is sick!! I hate it. Good luck. It won't last forever. Better all at once then forever drawn out, maybe . . .

BTW, I never DO find out you've called until later, and my computer is broken upon which I get my voicemails! SO, sorry I never call you back. Thanks SO much for arranging meals, and boy was today's unexpected!! WOW! You're awesome.
Joni said…
W-O-W. That is a lot of health drama! I really hate when sickness disrupts the routine. You've really got my sympathy. I sure hope this is the end!!
Julia said…
Wow, you need some major comfort time. Thanks for being so real & teaching me a lesson. Too often I'm guilty of only posting the beautiful in life- when in reality I too have run to ER, etc.
Brenda I am so sorry to hear everyone is so sick...hope this week is alittle better for you. On a happy note I just picked up our flag guilt kit! I am super excited!
Dawn said…
My kids have all had chicken pox, it's not so bad. In the UK we don't immunise against it so if any friends kids have it we get together when the kids are young, around 1yr old and expose them to it. It is alot easier to have the younger they are. Mine have all had it at age 1.
Corinne said…
I feel bad I'm reading this so late :(. LAME times. I'm so glad you at least seem to be feeling better!!

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet