Ashtyn's Nutcracker



Saturday was the long awaited Nutcracker performance for my Ashtyn and her friend Marielle. Ashtyn started ballet a couple of months ago and has loved it! She begged me for ages to put her in, and I'm so glad I finally did because it has been what she looks forward to all week. It helps that she has her good friend in there with her.

So, every Fall the ballet studio does a performance, the Nutcracker. The girls were so excited to do it and so I couldn't resist, but the down side is that they have to practice on every Friday night for about two months! It's so, so over crowded in the small room with all the families and they only practice for twenty minutes, but it takes so much of your Friday night.

The long awaited recital came on Saturday. Okay, these were the main events:

  • Ashtyn stepped in doggie doo doo right before the Suttons picked her up. As we tried to clean up, she broke out in hysterics and wouldn't calm down.
  • Ashtyn waited in the back with friends for their turn in the performance.
  • Did her part in the first Nutcracker for all of five minutes very well!
  • Broke out in hives all over body with little red boils.
  • Had Bennadryl for the first time and was a little hyper.
  • For second performance (yes, it was a long day for those little kids!) wouldn't let mom out of sight for part of it, and for the other part, I spent chasing her around backstage.
  • Finally let me out of sight so I could take pictures of performance.
  • Did great in her performance!!
  • Ran around again (what does this Bennadryl have in it?) while Brian and I chased her around the theater.
  • Finally Ashtyn and Marielle dressed and we headed for home.
  • Much whining and crying on the way home.
  • Ashtyn finally zonked out on the way home.

Yes, it was a pretty eventful day and so emotionally draining. And I thought it was going to be so nice to sit in the audience and get to watch the performance. Hmm... oh well. The good news is when she finally woke up and felt a little better, she was asking when she gets to do it again. That made me laugh after all the trauma we had.

And in case your wondering, the red, bumpy rash got much worse the next day and looked like little boils all over her body. It didn't hurt her though, but was very itchy. Then Monday morning it disappeared. We are thinking hives, any ideas?










The day before the Nutcracker Vanessa and I had fun taking a few pictures....




Comments

Meg said…
She looks so cute! That is darling that she got to be in the Nutcracker. Sorry about all the trama! Hopefully it's all cleared up and not coming back.
COOLWHIP said…
Too funny. Benadryl does that to Sahra too. Up for hrs bouncing off walls, then crash.
carilarkins said…
Those two girls are so adorable.I loved watching them in the primary program. I can tell they are best friends. I bet they loved those fancy costumes.
Amber said…
Oh my goodness they are cute.
Emily said…
How WONDERFUL! Dancing is the best-especially when you're a little girl. That's crazy about the Benadryl, I thought it was supposed to make you sleepy. I'm glad she had a good experience-and way cute pictures of the girls!
Tracy said…
They look great! Their outfits are adorable. You made me want to put my girls in a dance class again. You have to let her do it again, even with all the drama!
Julia said…
Oh how fun! do let me know about her next performance, I would LOVE to come!
Jenni said…
Oh my goodness she looked adorable!! Sorry about the mystery bumps though!! Sounds like a recital to remember!!
Cami said…
Wow! Very nice! Love the pictures. I remember doing The Nutcracker when I was that age, and it was so fun.
Jann said…
What fun. They both look so darling. How great to be involved in that.
Kellie said…
Gorgeous pictures! What a fun memory! I used to get nervous hives everytime I did anything on stage. I know adults who still do when they give a talk.
Christie said…
Love the pictures. SO sweet. Could the hives have been nerves?
erin sheely said…
I love these pictures! What cute kiddos. Hey, is there a girl named Rachel England in her class?
Deb said…
how cute are they? that is adorable! i love ballet. :)
What a cute little ballerina! Wish I could have seen the performance. Your Dad and I went to Kayli's performance in her Nutcracker too. Dad said he had never seen anything like that, with all those little girls twirling and pointing, etc. etc. in their little tutus. He got a big kick out of it. When it was all over, Kayli went up on stage and twirled and performed all by herself! Then came sweeping over to him in some kind of pose when he asked her for a goodbye kiss! So funny to see him demonstrate when he tells about it!

Love you, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet