Teralyn the Speller

I have some not so great spellers in my family. Yes, It's true. I will admit it. I didn't realize this when I agreed to marry my husband. You would have thought that he would have told me huh? I mean, who knew that all of our little offspring would get this wonderful trait from him. Okay, okay, I shouldn't blame it all on him. I am not a born fantastic speller either. It took some hard work. Although, I have to say I always thought I was. I won two spelling bees in elementary school. I thought I was on top of the world. I mean I thought I was amazing! Who knew that I once had problem with spelling? I sure didn't, at least not until I got married. Then one day my mom mentioned that she couldn't believe that I had won those spelling bees because I was horrific! What!? All this time I had thought I was an amazing speller. You mean all those years of being so confident in my spelling attributes was all a hoax? So, I have finally come to the conclusion that I am just great at memorizing. Yes, this is all it takes for a spelling bee right? It goes to show what a little determination will do...

So, to the point of my story, my Teralyn knows she is not a great speller. She has had many a night with tears while we go over and over her spelling words and then we still see those check marks. She is a wonderful reader, but when it comes to spelling it just isn't there. At least it wasn't until now...

Yesterday was the annual spelling bee in Tera's class. She has been studying for about three weeks on her words. Every night going over and over them. Man, I was so glad that spelling bee was finally coming to and end. Well, out of everyone in her class she came up third!! Unfortunately she didn't get to go on to the grade bee, but it didn't matter. Considering what she has been through as far as spelling it was amazing!!! We were so proud!

Now, on to Shaylee's....

Comments

Great Job Teralyn. I am a horrible speller and was BAD at the spelling bee. I got out on the word "mix," in 4th grade. I spelled it "misk."

Who cares if you just memorize, I think memorizing is a great trait.
Tracy said…
That's great! Congratulations. I'd rather have Brian good at math rather than spelling though -- that way he can help tutor Alec :)
Jenni said…
Congrats to Tera! I can memorize really well too, but spelling is not my strong point. I'm so thankful for spellchecker!:)
COOLWHIP said…
That is so our house. We practice and practice our sp words all week, only to bring home a C or D. It is so frustrating. Trent is also an atrocious speller. But at least he'll ask how to spell something, or look it up so he doesn't spell it wrong. Spelling and English were my best subjects, so far, I'm waiting for one of my kids to follow suit.
They all read well, though, which is all I care about.
Christie said…
I feel the pain of a bad speller. We suffer from that around here as well, but I brought in the stinker gene. Congratulations on a big boost to Teralyn, may she be on the same path as her mama.
Dawn said…
I am so rubbish at spelling as well
Deb said…
that's fantastic! that's really winning for her, esp since it doesn't come easily. calvin hasn't said a word about the spelling bee. perhaps i better ask him....
Cami said…
Jeffy is a good memorizer too. Creative spelling is NOT quite his forte. But hey, in your defense (and all of us), English is an insane language--no real rules to follow. Most words are memorized anyway. Great job to Teralyn!

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet