The things Bri left me with...

Bri left on a business trip this week to St. Louis and left me with a few things...

On Monday I was informed that a package is coming and I needed to get it out of the cold AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. No, it wasn't for my birthday... It was a package of live red ants!! Yes, you read it right. He is doing another scientific experiment this time with Shaylee and this time instead of flies, ants... So, they were supposed to come while he was here, but of course they died in the mail so he had to order new ones which came on my watch. And, to make it even better, on the package it says, "CAUTION, DO NOT TOUCH ANTS, THEY WILL STING!!" Then it proceeds to tell you what to do in case you get stung for about a paragraph. In the next paragraph it says, "Transfer the ants out of the shipping tube as soon as possible."

If you know me well, you know how much I hate bugs, insects, mice etc. etc. Anything that crawls. I really hate them. Whenever we have a spider in the house, I try to pretend to be brave in front of my girls, I grab a shoe and hit it as hard as I can. So, I am secretly terrified to put these ants in their new habitat. We decided to put them in the fridge for a few minutes to make them "slow" and then try to put them in. Since it was Shaylee's experiment, she should be the one to do it right? So she did... (: I armed her with gloves of course, and we went onto the sidewalk while they were "slow" and she proceeded to dump them in their new home. Just so you know, the hole to get them in is tiny, so this was quite hard. But, I was so proud of her, I was shaking, but she was fine. Then, she dropped a few on the sidewalk, but she grabbed each one carefully and put them in!!! Yay yay yay for Shaylee!!! Thank goodness she likes bugs.



Okay, the other thing he left me with was a couple of snow days. This whole season we haven't had one and we were so disappointed. Bri usually gets those days off too, so it's always a fun family day for us when there is a snow day. Well, this week while he has been gone we have already had two!! I have to say it hasn't been that bad though. We have actually been having a good time playing games and sledding (in the little snow that we have) and having hot chocolate etc. But, one of those days was my birthday so it was a little sad not to have him here to share it with... My girls were great though. They tried really hard to not fight with each other (I had to remind them a few times) and they even brought me toast and water in bed!! Amazing huh? Ya, it was great. Then they made me pictures, Shay made me a game I can play with (out of paper) and Tera made me a calendar and wrote me a letter that said, "Someday I would like to be you. You are so nice and hot and so I will give you a calendar." What?? That totally made me laugh. I had to make sure that she really meant "hot" and she said she did. Oh geez... I guess they listen to Bri's little remarks more than I thought...

Comments

Jenni said…
Taralyn is so cute!! The "hot" part made me laugh! I'm sorry your hubby was gone for your birthday and those ants! Yikes! Happy happy birthday Brenda!!
Elizabeth said…
First of all, happy birthday!

Brian would like the experiement I did with my 5th graders with the mill worms. It's part of the requirement, but I was soooo grossed out. The morning I had the worms passed out I told them I was looking for the person who was on their very best behavior to get to help me. Then I picked someone to do all the parts that involved touching or lookng at the worm. The rest the did at home!

It seems like I do remember you throwing a shoe at a spider or two at Snow!
Jann said…
Oh, I am sorry about the red ants. We dealt with them in Florida. Nathan was actually hospitalized after being bitten by them. He is very allergic to them. I do not like red ants.

Happy Birthday. Your girls are very sweet. That is not to fun to have Brian gone on your birthday. I hope it was fun anyway.
Meg said…
Happy Birthday! I'm glad the red ants all made it into their little home. You are quite a trooper.
Christie said…
Too cute about the girls and your birthday. :-) What good girls. And the red ants. Ummm, not okay. regular ants, maybe, but red ones???? as pets???? no, not okay. :-)
Tracy said…
Ugh and yuck on getting insects in the mail! Thank goodness you have such sweet girls. We're still going out for your birthday!
I want to be hot like you too! Glad to hear the ants made it in their home safely and not in YOUR home. yikes......

Congrats on the TV.
Joni said…
I love that Shaylee is braver than both of us when it comes to insects, and I really love that you are HOT!
Emily said…
Adorable birthday presents! I would have been the same way with the ants. In fact, I might have been so afraid that the ants may have just died again waiting for me to get up the guts to even touch the box they were in. Good thing you had Shaylee!

Happy Birthday!
Jeri said…
I think this may the cutest post ever. I was totally smiling and laughing at the craziness in your house. Fun stuff! I hope you had a super happy birthday, and I am sorry Brian had to miss the big day.
Deb said…
brian ordered fire ants and left you to claim them from the porch? wow. i'm so glad calvin likes electricity, not bugs.
Corinne said…
That's so funny! Husbands are the best :)

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet