Christmas Traditions

Some of our Christmas traditions...

We love to go to the Symphony of Lights down by the hospital. Every year we pay the twenty bucks and let our kids get out of their seat belts and the have free rein in the car while we all enjoy the lights. Bri even lets them drive. Yes I know, crazy! But the kids love it and we really enjoy it too!

Gingerbread houses. I know this is pretty much everyone's family tradition, but we started doing this about four years ago and have pictures from every year. One year my bro. who was on his mission here got to do it with us. Way fun! Anyway, we finally finished this tradition this morning. So, we all had quite the sugar high right before church.

Christmas lights at the temple. I love this! Every year it is just the same, but the spirit is so strong and I love that my kids can also feel it. This year was really special to us. The live nativity scene was excellent and even brought tears to our eyes. I really wanted my little girls to understand the true meaning of Christmas and after watching it twice, Ashtyn was begging to go back. I love to take my girls to the temple and just feel the spirit that presides there.

Advent Calendar. Okay so, this is our first year doing this since I just made it this year, but I think it will stick because my kids loved it! We did a scripture advent calendar where every night we would turn over a star and read a scripture about the Saviour. It was a great way to keep the true meaning of Christmas and also a fun way to count down....

And this is one of my kids' favorite tradition. On Christmas Adam (the night before Christmas Eve) Brian sleeps with the girls in their room. He makes a bed for himself on the floor and usually they all end up right next to him. Yes, everyone is tired in the morning, but it is so worth it! My kids love this. Then on Christmas Eve night, the girls get to sleep in each other's beds. It usually ends up with us moving them in the night....


Although this tradition hasn't happened yet, this is definitely my favorite, so I have to tell. Every Christmas morning, Brian and I wake up before the girls and make them a yummy breakfast. We go all out, muffins, fruit cocktail, sausage, quiche, hot chocolate etc. We put up a blanket so they can't see the Christmas room and then we all have a candlelight breakfast before the Christmas rush. When everyone is sufficiently excited, we get in line youngest to oldest and go in.

Comments

Christie said…
How fun to have a post of your traditions. Cute ideas too.
Dawn said…
I love how daft and cute and silly and so very special christmas traditions are, you have a wonderful christmas
Cami said…
Yeah, we tried that breakfast tradition, and it never worked. So now we have pullaparts and right after the Santa rush we put them in, eat them, and then open presents.

Also, we call Christmas Adam the day AFTER, but I suppose that is rather backwards . . .

Fun traditions!!! It looks like you guys will have such a fun day.
Elizabeth said…
Sounds fun! How do you get your girls to eat breakfast before gifts? I know Caleb wouldn't do it. It sounds like a fun tradition though.
Tracy said…
You do so many fun things. How fun to have a slumber party with their dad. We've never been to the Symphony of Lights yet, maybe next year. Don't tell Mendy about the no seat belts!
Julia said…
Thanks for sharing your traditions with us! Sounds like you will have (had?) a Merry Christmas in your house! With Reagan crawling all over it!
Jann said…
What fun family traditions. Merry Christmas!
Meg said…
Christmas Adam- how cute :)
Those are some fun traditions.
Jenni said…
You guys have such fun traditions! I am seriously impressed that you and Brian wake up before the kids to make breakfast! Wow!:)
Deb said…
fun ideas! i love the "christmas adam" sleepover! i bet they love having a little slumber party with dad.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet