Shay's Kindergarten Adventures

Shay came home with a huge rip in her shorts. She said it happened on the playground today, poor girl. It was huge, right on her bottom. Then, when we got home, I was searching her backpack for papers and found a note from the school nurse. Apparently, she had gotten kicked in the head today, but no serious bruises (as stated by the nurse). So then, at dinner time we were talking and she said, "I was sad that a few people in my class didn't like my hair today." I asked her what she was talking about and she said that a few kids in her class told her they didn't like her braids. Well, after prodding it a little, I found out that her teacher said she liked her hair and asked the rest of the class if they liked it and most raised their hand, but some didn't. What a tough day!

Well, despite everything that went wrong, I was surprised by her attitude. It made me laugh to see a huge hole in her shorts and we even walked today home from school, but she wasn't too embarrassed, she was mostly sad that her favorite shorts were ruined. I was actually relieved that they had a hole, I was getting a little sick of them. She didn't even complain about her kick in the head, but asked me if I got the note. She also didn't seem too bothered that the kids didn't like her hair, but she was more happy that her teacher liked it. Hmmm..... who knew?

I'm just realizing that every day is an adventure with Shay. Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring (:

Comments

Christie said…
Oh school life. I remember when Liza started and the whole realizing that other people can like and dislike what you look like..... and the parade begins. :-)
Jann said…
Man, that was one tough day for a little girl. What a great attitude she has. My Kerrie actually punched a 5th grade boy on the bus the first week of Kindergarten, for saying she wasn't pretty.
Cynthia said…
What an amazing girl! I'm not sure I agree with the teacher posing the question to the rest of the class, but I guess we weren't there for it all. Shay has a great deal of maturity for her age!
ashlee said…
man, what a day for her! glad she made it through in one piece!
Julia said…
Oh, Sweet Shaylee. What a positive attitude! Hey, I was just thinking about you guys & how many fun memories we have from fall time with you. Are you guys going to Hershey Park or the Corn Maze again this season?
Brenda said…
Hules,

I think we will try for a corn maze. I liked the one last year, but I think this time we will go to one a little closer. .
We haven't been to an amusement park all year. My girls would love to go to one again I'm sure, but no we don't have any plans yet. What about you guys? I bet they have some great corn mazes there right?

We miss you guys! I know my girls do too, they still ask about your girls!
Rough day! I ripped my shorts once when I was in 3rd grade and just wanted to DIE!!
Cami said…
Geesh! What a day. The teacher was probably trying to be nice, but she shouldn't have opened that can of worms! Man, I remember the kicks to the head at that age. She's pretty tough.
Julia said…
What a tough, sweet little girl you have! And all your girls have such personality, I'm don't know how you deal with all of them sometimes :D
Jenni said…
Oh, that really does sound like a bad day - poor Shaylee! It's so hard to find out that your kids have been picked on or hurt. It sounds like she took it all amazingly well tho. Good for her.
Tracy said…
I hope she doesn't have anymore rough days! I'll have to give her a compliment on how pretty she is next time I see her.
Meg said…
What a rough day! Isn't it funny how kids just love some clothes and you're like "ugh!"
Jeri said…
Such a bad day. Good for her, for being able to brush it off!
Corinne said…
I love Shay. She seems to do a good job of just going with the flow - that's a lot of things to worry about in one day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Club Feet

Brynley Anne Whipple