Work work and more work... oh, and a computer.

When Brian first got his job at the APL he loved it! We couldn't have been happier with it. He was doing computer programming and working on interesting things (Tomahawk missile). It had great benefits and he never had to work longer than forty hours a week. He was very content.

>Well, about three years later, they asked him to be project manager. At first he refused because he wanted to be doing technical work. They promised him that he would still have time for that, but just a few more responsibilities. Well, turns out he had a LOT more responsibilities and no time for programming. He really didn't enjoy it and to top it all off, there was no pay raise, but just a huge hike in responsibilities. As a result, he switched groups at the lab hoping to start over and work on some things that he enjoys.

Things were going great again for about half a year. He was really enjoying work again and he was also learning some great stuff. After a while, his supervisor came to him and asked him to take over as a project manager. Of course he said no, this was why he switched groups in the first place. He wanted to do technical work. He supervisor said no one else in the group could handle this and he really needed Brian to step up. He promised him it would only be temporary and that he would spend most of his time programming. After some convincing Brian agreed thinking it would only be a temporary change. Of course, it wasn't. It has now been about a year and we are back to Brian really not enjoying his job! He sits in meetings all day and is basically the liaison between the sponsor and the APL. It also means many many more hours at work and time away from his family (which he HATES!).

If you really know Brian, you will know how hard it is for him to be away from us. He is definitely a family man (loves to be at home with us) and does not enjoy putting extra hours in if he doesn't have to. He keeps reassuring me that he is not becoming a workaholic, but that it will be over soon, and if they don't take him out soon, he will switch jobs. I just keep hoping he's right because he has been working about ten hours a day lately and sometimes on Saturdays too! Okay, I probably have no room to talk. I know there are husbands out there that do this on a constant basis and moms that have to take care of the kids and the house without their husbands around. Ahh!!! I feel for you!

Brian hasn't been quiet about his feelings at work. His supervisors know how he feels, but he gets the feeling that they are hoping he will stay. So the other day he got a bonus. Of course we were happy about it, but I'm just hoping this isn't their way of trying to get Brian to feel obligated.

Now we are to the point of my story. Bri has been talking about a new computer for so long. We always put it off, but we finally decided to do it with his bonus and we are getting an iMac. It will be so nice not to have to fight over the computer with my kids (yes, they are on it more than I am). Bri ordered it about five days ago and I wished that we had gone to the store and bought it because he is constantly checking the order status! It is all he can talk about. Okay so last week all I could talk about were mice, but that's different story. I am just hoping it gets here soon.

Okay, right when I finished that, I got a knock on my door... yes, the Fed Ex man! (:

Comments

Yay for iMac! We got ours in January and I really like it!
Jenni said…
I'm sorry you guys are going through hard times with Brian's job.. I hate that work pressure. Adrian has worked for a couple companies that expected him to work till midnight on a consistent basis - it was the pits! I hope that things get better for Brian soon.

Congrats on the iMac! They look really neat!:)
Cami said…
Oh, how I sympathize. I know exactly what that's like. I hate it when Jake doesn't enjoy his job. Right now, we're back to liking it, but he also works about 8 extra hours a week! I hope things get better. And I hope he got raises for every time they changed his responsibilities!
Julia said…
Wow, Brenda, 10 hours a day does seem like quite the trial. You're right, I know so many women who see their husbands less. A good friend of mine here has 5 kids (4 sons) & her husband left last month for Iraq until Christmas. My other friend just had her 4th baby while her husband was in Iraq... and another friend's husband was away in Iraq for the first year of their twins' life!

When they are such great Daddy's like Brian, 10 hours a day is too much! Little girls really need their Daddy. Not to mention how much you must miss having his time too. Hope things start looking up soon! Enjoy your new computer!
Tracy said…
I'm so glad you got a new computer. How fun. I'm so sorry Brian is gone so much. It's so nice when they're home to just let us catch up on our sanity. I guess it's better than the alternative though, if they didn't work -- that would be more annoying. If you need a break, you can always bring your sweet girls to my house.
Christie said…
Yey, I played with my sis in laws imac in Utah, what a fun new toy. "Move over little house mouse, there is a new mouse in town!"
Julia said…
I was warned about that when I transitioned to full staff last week. We have to record all our hours, but that doesn't mean we get paid for all of them (unlike where I was at Honeywell where at least we did get paid for those hours). Tell Brian to stick to his guns--and we can use him in the Space Department ;)

Yay for the iMac! I've been forced into the PC/Windows world kicking and screaming, but I'm hoping my next computer will be a mac :)

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet