Birthday celebration and 1500 flies!!!

Birthday Party

Okay, so I haven't written about my birthday celebration yet. I know, I know, get on with it, it was last Saturday night. Well, I have just had a couple of other posts that I wanted to get out and then didn't get around to it.

Anyway, last Saturday night some friends had a birthday celebration for Nicole Jensen and I at La Madeline's in Columbia. It was a lot of fun. I felt bad that I didn't bring a camera, but we had about 15 or so friends meet us there and my sweet friend Jenni even bought me cheesecake and hot chocolate! It was yummy!

We had a lot of fun just talking and laughing. Especially when the subject got changed to Twilight. It always does doesn't it?

Thank you my friends for the fun celebration! I had a great time. (:


The Fly project

So, yesterday we had an ice day (where school was canceled) and thank goodness we did! Shaylee hadn't finished her valentines yet and it took at least two, maybe three hours to get them done. Phew!!! Also, Teralyn was trying to finish her Science project report that was due today and so Bri spent about two hours helping her with that. We were so so so glad that we had that time. Was this intervention??? I will have to ask my kids what they said in their prayers last night....

For those of you who don't know, Teralyn has been working on a science project about flies. Yes, it was her dad's idea (I detest the things!). His idea was to test if flies like vinegar or honey better. I thought for sure that I had convinced Tera that it was a bad idea, when out of nowhere, she wrote it as her top choice! Ahhh! So, for the past few weeks we have bought fly larva, put it in a huge container with a screen (I made sure they taped up multiple times), watched the larva turn to cocoons, watch the cocoons hatch and then watch as about 1500 flies flew around trying to decide which trap to go in.



I have to say it's been an interesting experience, but I am so glad it's over! What surprised me the most is not what happened to the flies, but that my little Teralyn warmed up to the flies and actually wanted to count every single one of them (who knew coming from a girl who is terrified of dogs?)



Anyway, the fly science project is finally finished!!! Hooray! Oh, except for the presentation that we still need to put together. I feel a huge relief and I think Brian does too. I don't know if Tera was as stressed about it as Brian and I were. Hmmmm...... Did I ever tell you thank you mom and dad? Well if I didn't, I am now!

Comments

Tracy said…
Ewww! What are you going to do with all those flies? That is very nice of you to let that experiment in your house. Your party was so fun. It's so nice to have an excuse to get together.
jenny-penny said…
You are SO brave! The thought just sickens my stomach, flies...YUCK!

It was so nice talking together and laughing last Saturday Night. I am glad you had a good time. It was all for you and Nicole after all. :)
Christie said…
Gross!!! That last picture is so yucky! So sorry I missed your party. If I remember correctly my sweet husband was on call. Happy Birthday!
Cami said…
It was a very fun get-together, late as it was! I'm glad we finally found a day for it!

Ok, the flies are disgusting. i think I'd kick my husband out of the house for that.
Jenni said…
Last Sat was so fun and I am so glad you had a good time!! Wow that's a lot of flies - sounds like a neat experiment, but I'm so happy for you that it's all over now!:)
Meg said…
So did you release the flies into the wild? You're a very patient mom! I hate it when flies get into the house. I snap them dead with towels. But I think 1500 would be a few hundred too many to towel snap :)

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet