Shaylee Turns 6



Shaylee turned 6 yesterday. She was so excited all week. It was all she could talk about. So, this is how our day went:

I thought it would be fun to have lunch with my Shay at school, so I dropped my kids off at Nicole's, grabbed a happy meal from Wendy's, and headed on over. We had a great time, Shay was excited I came. It was good to see how she fits in with her class. I had forgotten how much energy kindergarteners can have. Shay is pretty mellow, so it fun to see how she handled it. She seemed very content, I was proud of her.

On the way to her class her music teacher stopped me and we talked about Shay for a few minutes. She mentioned how much she loves her and how sweet and quiet she is in class. Then she said, "you are expecting a baby aren't you?". I was a little shocked, but just smiled and said no. She was embarrassed, so I tried to change the subject. I am just trying to justify it to myself that it's because I had my huge coat on...right? Either that or I really need to get my crunches going!


Anyway, it was a great time at school and a fun break to my day. That night we had Shay's favorite meal (homemade lasagna) and some bread that Teralyn had made at school (yummy Tera!) and then we had a little family party.

This is what Shay got for her birthday:

  • Grandma and grandpa Ashby gave her warm pink pj's and pink slippers! I think this was her favorite gift. She has been begging me for slippers for so long.
  • Grandma and grandpa Whipple gave her a cute locket necklace and ring, and an Amelia Bedillia book.
  • Tera and Ashty gave her a Polly Pocket horse kit.
  • Mom and dad gave her a music box (which she has also been begging for ever since we saw some at the National Cathedral in the gift shop.)
We then had cupcakes (saving the cake for her friend b-day party on Saturday) and talked about the things we love about Shay.



So, as a tribute to my Shay on her birthday, here are some of my favorite things about her:

  • She is a great friend (most of the time).
  • Very persistent. Once she decides she wants to do something, she does it!
  • Thinks that time is always on her side. Yes, she likes to smell the roses and she does it quite often.
  • Some of her good friends right now are Hannah, April, and Max.
  • Favorite food is....carrots! Oh, and lasagna.
  • Favorite color is pink (at the moment).
  • Loves to ride bikes and pretty much taught herself (with a little help from dad).
  • Loves to rollerskate and iceskate and is trying really hard to get better.
  • Says the best prayers in the world, she is very sincere.
  • Gets quite attached to people and has a really really hard time when we have visitors and then they have to go home... (crying for three or four days).
  • Loves computer games (especially Webkins) and would spend all day playing them if I let her.
  • Loves to play outside with her friends.
  • falls and skins her knees almost every day.
  • has a testimony and loves the Lord.
  • wants to be a mom and a doctor someday.
  • Is a great sister to Raegan and is always helping her smile.
  • has a great laugh and makes playing board games a lot of fun!
  • loves horses.
I sure love you Shay!

Comments

Tracy said…
How embarrassing for that teacher. Your stomach is flatter than mine and I haven't had a baby lately -- you must have been wearing a big coat. Shaylee is so sweet. Happy Birthday to her!
Joni said…
Wow, I remember seeing Shay on your lap when we first moved to Maryland and she was two or three weeks old. She's six!! Leah told me the other day that she was helping me like a six year old, because six year olds are big girls.

The baby comment made me laugh. Doesn't she know that you NEVER assume pregnancy, even when the mom to be has the hugest pregnant belly ever?!:) I haven't seen you for a while, but I'm betting you really don't look pregnant, so I'm guessing it was the coat:)
Christie said…
Aw, happy birthday!!! What a fun record to have. I bet that the teacher heard about you being pregnant before, and didn't realize how much time had gone by since she heard that news? Maybe... :-)
Emily said…
Hey, the baby comment is nothing to feel bad about. You'd be surprised the things that kindergarteners will tell their teachers.

According to my afternoon class, at least half of their moms are going to have babies (they're not). It comes up at least 2-3 times a week from random kids. One girl changes her mind whether her mom is having a boy or a girl every day and her mom is not pregnant at all!

Sounds like such a great birthday. I used to love my birthday when I was that age. And having a mom come to school for lunch--what a treat!
Cami said…
Oh dear. Stop with the asking about pregnancy people!! She probably just lost track of time from last year when you were still pregnant . . . or something. But anywho, you don't look preggo, so feel safe.

Anywho, Shaylee is so cute! What a big girl she is getting to be. I can't wait to see your girls tomorrow in the talent show.
Deb said…
happy birthday to shaylee!

i bet the teacher was mixing you up with someone she heard was pregnant, not that you look it - because you don't! you look great!
Meg said…
Sounds like you guys had a really fun day. It's fun to read your posts about your family. They inspire me to do similar ones since I'm not good about keeping a paper journal.
Meg said…
... and you look fabulous by the way. I'm guessing the teacher didn't say that because she thought you looked it. ;)
Nat said…
They grow fast don't they. She's so cute. Sounds like she had a good birthday, I bet she loved having you come to school for lunch. Happy Birthday Shay.
Angie said…
Brend, I'm just slow at getting to the computer. I love your blogs. It's fun to be able to show the kids what their cousins are doing. I need to get going with this. You are inspiring. I'm still working on just getting started. I finally figured out how to add another buddy to my list! I now have 2! Wahoo! I want to come and see you again. Love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet