Kids say the darndest things....

Monday when my girls were home from school for the holiday, I was watching some news on tv. They had the presidential nominees up and were talking about a few of them. When Mitt Romney came up I said to my girls, "this guy is running for president girls, and he is Mormon like us". My girls were quite impressed and then Shaylee blurted out, "he is so handsome!" Teralyn and I laughed and laughed and then a minute later she said, "he is almost as handsome as Wyatt in my primary class!". Tera and I had another good laugh. Hmmm.... no wonder she has enjoyed primary so much lately. (:

So, Brian and I have been trying a different form of discipline for the past week. We are hoping it will help with the kids' motivation to get their things done without us constantly nagging them. We found a few mason jars in our basement and I bought a whole bunch of stickers. They each got their own jar to decorate and put their name on. Then, we said that when they do their jobs without us asking and they do it happily, then they get some beans in their jar. Once their jar is full, then they get to go on a daddy daughter date (or a mommy daughter date, whichever one they choose).

So, last night Tera, Ashtyn, and I were on our way home from piano lessons. Ashtyn noticed the full moon in the sky and started commenting on how big and beautiful the moon was. After a minute it hid behind some clouds and Ashtyn said, "get back here moon!". It didn't come back. She continued yelling at the moon to come back and when it finally did she yelled "that's a good moon, now you can get beans in your jar and go on a daddy daughter date!" Tera and I had another good laugh...

Comments

Cami said…
HA! I like the beans in the jar idea. Good stuff. What funny girls. I think Wyatt is cute too.
Meg said…
You have some funny girls! I like your jar idea also. I think it would be good to try a rewards for positive behavior system with Jaide.
Joni said…
Those are two handsome fellas. Good eye, Shaylee!
Jenni said…
Ha! I love the moon one - so cute!! Those reward jars are a great idea!!:)
Christie said…
So cute! Wyatt eh? Too funny, he is a mighty handsome boy.
I had to laugh because just two days ago my 27 year old sister was telling me she thinks Mitt is cute! :) Funny!
Jeri said…
Oh, I had a good laugh, and my smile won't disappear!

If you don't mind I am going to steal that story, and email it to my Mom! She will be so tickled!

What a fun post this was. Your kids are funny!
Dawn said…
we use the marbles in a jar thing for the boys and it does work. I used it for the girls when they were little but apparently it doesn't work for teenage girls ????
Tracy said…
Good luck with the jar and beans. It's good to know my girls aren't the only ones who are boy crazy.
Deb said…
she chose the right boy. that wyatt is adorable. poor mitt. :(
Scarlett said…
I am a fanatic about the moon myself! She's so sweet. What cute and funny stories. Defenitely worth mentionting.
How funny Brenda. They are so cute! Love the beans idea.
What a cute blog! I told Ammon last night and we just had a good laugh. Your girls are so cute!
Julia said…
Your kids are so funny! I love that Shaylee thinks Wyatt is cute (which shows she has good taste *g*). I love that Tera is old enough for you and her to laugh about things together. Kind of sad that she's growing so fast, though.
Jann said…
I am laughing out loud. Your kids are so cute. I love these moments.

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet