Two Sad Events....

On Sunday two sad things happened. Our beloved prophet and president of the LDS church, Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away. The other sad thing that happened is that I turned 30. Both events gave me mixed feelings. Our prophet has been such a wonderful influence to so many people and such a great leader for so long. I can't imagine not hearing his sweet voice in General Conference. He will be greatly missed. On the other hand, I know that he is in a far better place and reunited with his wife and those he loves. We had a sweet family home evening last night where we talked to our girls about our dear prophet and each one of us had tears in our eyes remembering him.

As far as my birthday goes, yes it is a sad event. I guess I didn't expect to be so emotional about turning 30. I remember laughing at Brian when he was so sad about his 30th birthday two years ago. Now I understand. Doesn't getting older mean more maturity and the older you get the wiser you get right? Well, I don't feel any of that. All I can think of is that I am not in the coveted 20's anymore (boo hoo!).

Ok, so I don't mean to sound so glum. I mean, I'm not the only one getting older in this world and eventually we will have a perfect body right? Don't they say now that 30 is the new 20 (or is that 50?). It seems we are always wanting to get older until we hit 25 or so and then we just want to stop for five years, and now we are all trying to get younger. Hmmm.... oh well, I guess it's all in the attitude, so here's to hoping...

Despite my sad events, (and that I spent the evening in bed with a fever! Welcome to the 30's huh?), it turned out to be a pretty good day. The night before Bri took me out to dinner at PF Changs, oh I mean Applebees (huge line at PF Changs), and then we went to a symphony. There is a cute girl in our ward, Ashley Gartside (Brian home teaches her family) who plays viola in the Maryland Youth Symphony. We loved going! It was such a fun birthday date. Raegan came with us (yes, we were the only ones in the theater with a baby) and she did a great job. Oh, except one time when it was so so quiet and Raegan starting babbling and got a huge laugh from the audience. Ashley did wonderful and we were so glad we went.

Sunday we had a birthday party, (where I finally got an electric fondue pot!!! Yay!) and my kids made me some fun games, and a great birthday crown. Then that night we went to a baptism preview for Teralyn (do a really have a girl old enough to get baptized????) and then I zonked out at 9:00.


So, on to a great year as a 30 year old right as soon as I get rid of this darn fever!!! (:

Comments

Happy Birthday Brenda!! Welcome to the 30's group! It REALLY isn't all that bad,promise. I found I stopped doubting myself so much when I hit 30 and that is a nice feeling.
Dawn said…
Oh! Brenda it's not so bad turning 30? I couldn't wait to turn 30 and am excited to turn 40 in two years. It's an accomplishment. I found I had so much more confidence. Enjoy it
Happy Happy Birthday Brenda Dear...Just kidding I won't sing the whole thing! I enjoyed reading your blog as always! I know this sounds silly but I really had a hard time turning 26 I don't know how I am going to handle 30. You have a package on the way but you know me I am always so late getting things send!
Tracy said…
I had no idea you're an old lady now! You'll have to make Brian take you back to PF Chang when it's not so busy. You went to bed at 9:00 on your birthday, hmmm, is that a sign of old age? Happy Birthday!
Meg said…
Happy Birthday Brenda! I'm so sorry you're sick. I'm sick too. Who is to blame for everyone being sick? Maybe we need the fairies from Sleeping Beauty to come and put our whole kingdom to sleep until spring. I hope you feel better soon!
Elizabeth said…
I know what you mean! I am trying to live up the 20s while I still can. I feel so old! Happy Birthday!
Jenni said…
Happy happy birthday!! I felt the same mixed feelings on my birthday Brenda - it's hard to say goodbye to those 20's!:) I love the birthday crown! And I hope you get feeling better really soon!!
Joni said…
Many happy returns! I need to get a birthday calendar going of all my friends. I think I will feel the same when I turn 30. I just feel as if I am a 20s sort of person. (But ha ha! I have two more years to go!)

Happy birthday:)
Cami said…
Oh, I'm sorry you were sick. Just to let you know, for the last couple weeks we've all been saying, "Hey, Brenda's 30th is coming up--we need to do something really fun." And that's as far as my pregnant brain takes it. But it's NOT over my friend. You WILL have a 30th bash, and no sickies!! So get ready.
CJohnson said…
Had no idea you were so young! 30's great...it's all the ones after that that stink. Happy Birthday! :)
Cynthia
Jann said…
Happy Birthday Brenda. I had a really hard time with 30 too. I am so glad you came to Ashley's concert. It meant a lot to her and to me.
Jeri said…
Happy Birthday! I am glad I got to see you in the hall for a minute! I feel just the same way you do....tell me it gets a little better after the big day.
Amber said…
Happy Birthday Brenda!!~
Deb said…
happy birthday! the 30s are great. welcome to them.... :)
Deb said…
happy birthday! the 30s are great. welcome to them.... :)
Deb said…
sorry that ended up posting twice! i don't know what the problem was...
Christie said…
Oh, I feel for you..... not only 30, but a child old enough to be baptized. That was a hard one for me too. Not only I am that old, but SHE is that old. Where does the time go? Remember when it seemed to take FOREVER for your birthday to come.... now it's like, ah, already!!! Crazy. Happy Birthday anyway!
Julia said…
Happy Birthday! Hey, we were actually at PF Chang's in Utah the exact same time! Again, great minds thing alike! We could've celebrated with you!

It will really be different without President Hinckley. We were really touched by all the flags that were at half-mast everywhere in Utah to honor him. They even put the flag down at the home we bought in Cedar Hills.

and... 30 does really feel different. It just does somehow. Hope it's the best for you!
Kellie said…
I'm sorry that 30 is sad for you. It really isn't that bad! Happy Birthday anyway! You can always say you've just celebrated the first anniversary of your 29th birthday!
Julia said…
Happy Birthday!!! And I think you'll enjoy your 30's (even if I did spend mine telling everyone I was 29...)

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet