Balboa Park, Coronado Island, Lost, and Dawnie's Engaged!

Day #3 of San Diego started with our usual morning routine. We wake up, get ready, go eat, Brian walks to class, Raegan goes down for a nap, I read, blog, do email, and then Raegan and I go off to play.



Yesterday our adventure was to go to Balboa park in downtown San Diego. Balboa park is the nations largest urban culture park and probably the largest tourist attraction in San Diego. It's a huge area with multiple museums, gardens, playgrounds, and even hiking paths to go on. The San Diego zoo is also just north of the park, so there are many things to do there.










Well, Raegan and I basically walked up one side of the park and down the other. We did go into a couple of museums (the Mingei museum and Botanical gardens), but most were quite expensive so we decided to opt-out. We were happy just looking though. Everything was so beautiful and green. The weather was perfect (about 68 degrees) and the sun was shining. The museums were all built with old style architecture and there were water fountains wherever we turned around! Kids were everywhere, playing around the fountains and in the gardens, it made me miss mine.

Raegan refused to crawl around on the grass. She would just whine and pick up one arm until I finally picked her up...




We stopped for lunch at a Japanese cafe. I got a California style sandwich which had crab, avocado and cucumber. Yes, it sounded good at the time, but we ended up throwing half of it away. I thought Raegan would enjoy eating the bread, but she didn't, and I only enjoyed the avocado part. I have been missing good old peanut butter and honey...

After walking around for about four hours, I debated whether or not we should keep going up to the zoo. But, when Raegan had a crying fit and I realized I hadn't nursed her for a few hours, or changed her diaper all day, I decided against it. I guess that will be another day's adventure.

So, we came home and gave Reag another quick nap, I read, and when Reagan woke up I called my cute sister Dawn who has been trying to get ahold of me for days. She gave me some great news. She is engaged! She is getting married on August 15th in the Manti temple, and thanks to Brian changing flights the other day, I already have a ticket!! Can't wait Dawnie!!!

After the great news, Bri came back from his class and we headed out to Coronado Island. He has stayed there multiple times on previous business trips, so this was the place that he most wanted me to see. So, Coronado Island is a little island right off of San Diego. To get there, you have to take a huge bridge over the bay. Since it is an island, you can see the sun set over the ocean on one side, and then on the other side, you can see the spectacular view of down town San Diego. Every time Bri comes to San Diego he tells me all about it and says, "someday I am going to take you with me Brenda so you can see how beautiful this is" and now I am here. (:







So, we went to the west side of the island first to see the sunset and the beach. We walked up and down the beach for a while. Then, we drove over to the east side of the island and walked up and down the board walk and looked out to San Diego. It was like we were looking at a picture. So beautiful!! I can see how he didn't enjoy sharing this with co-workers in the past. It's just too romantic. He needed me there with him. (:



We stopped at a little Gyro shop (it has become Brian's tradition) and had some really yummy Gyros with salad and fries. We ate this outside on their deck over looking the bay. We then went shopping a little to find some souveniers for our girls.

By this time, Raegan was pretty much conked out, so we decided it was time to head back. We put her to sleep in her play pen and then watched an episode of Lost on the internet with our headsets. We conked out at 10:30. I know, I know, we are such party animals..

Comments

Cami said…
Oh, it sounds like you are having such a lovely time! Raegan sounds like she's being quite cooperative too. Congrats on the engagement news!
Tracy said…
How fun for you! I'm so glad you were able to see the temple. Next time you'll have to go with no children and then you and Brian can go crazy and maybe stay up until 11:00 :)
Joni said…
I'm having so much fun reading your posts because I can really visualize where you are. It makes me miss San Diego so much. What an awesome day for you! Coronado with Brian must have been dreamy:)
Emily said…
It has been so fun to hear about your trip. Glad you're having such a great time out there. Pass my congratulations on to Dawn (I don't know how to contact her)--we are so excited for her!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Shay's B-day, Maple syrup, and Cryosurgery

Brynley Anne Whipple

Club Feet